Thursday, October 4, 2012

Welcome!

I've always loved to write, and with the start of this fall I have felt more inclined to do so than ever before. Maybe due to the far-sweeping distances between myself and my loved ones: family (Canada to California), friends (Amsterdam to Seattle), or the seemingly endless amount of change - whatever the reason, I itch to get it all down on paper and share it.

November 1st marks 2 years since moving to New York City. I've been sharing a house with two very silly, very talented ladies, basically extending our whimsical days at school. Our nights are filled with Amanda's incredible cooking (my love of food will inhabit another section of this blog to avoid this winding up an accidental foodie blog), mutual support of each others' musical aspirations (some opera, some Ukulele, lots of rapping...), Julia's cat's costume fashion shows (He's fairly obese, but he rocks a bow tie and jester hat.), and obviously a lot of laughter. I've felt blessed to live with these girls and often find myself wondering what life will be like one day when I move on from the comfort of our lives together. For now, though, I embrace this sweet phase of transition with never-ending french press coffee and a freezer fully-stocked with Girl Scout cookies.

That isn't to say it's been easy. Moving here to pursue a dream in the music world was never going to be smooth sailing, and I think all three of us knew and accepted that long before we arrived. There have been countless auditions and coachings, tours to sing in churches and recital halls all over the country (in some of the oddest locations), recording sessions, weekly lessons costing more than our monthly train fare, not to mention a ton of work poured into our day jobs. All while training for marathons, taking dance and yoga classes, and, you know, trying to have social lives and stuff. Whew.

Lately, I've been attempting to strike a balance between personal life and career aspirations as much as possible. I don't know if it's the "getting older" thing, or that time here really does fly by much faster, but each week disappears in a flash with not a lot of time to get the extra things done. I find myself having to say "No" much more, while somehow also managing to constantly double book myself. This isn't a complaint - I've always preferred to be busy, and I'm busy with things and people I love. It's mostly a challenge to myself to remember to stay grounded in the center of it all, and keep my eye on the goals and reasons for moving here and giving these years to this city. Who knows where I'll be this time next year, but putting at least some of it down on paper feels like the right thing to do.

Thanks to those who want to join me. :)

1 comment: